Have cavities been bothering you for a while now? They are one of the most common dental conditions that can significantly upset your oral health and aesthetics. Getting cavities treated at the right time can be the difference between saving or losing a natural tooth. The best and most sought-after solution for restoring a cavity-infected tooth is through a filling.
What are composite fillings?
Fillings made from tooth-colored composite resin are called composite fillings. The material used to make them can be customized as required, thus keeping the restoration under disguise. Also, it offers various other advantages, making it one of the most widely preferred materials to make dental fillings. Some of them are:
- Composite fillings are biocompatible. They do not cause any toxic reactions with the natural tissues of the teeth and nearby gums.
- They are highly customizable. Their color, texture, contour, and translucency can be mimicked with that of the natural teeth to give you a flawless smile.
- Composite fillings offer excellent sealing properties. They completely cover a cavity and prevent reinfection.
- Working with composite fillings is relatively easy, as they can be prepared and placed in the cavity without any hassle. They can also be shaped and hardened easily, allowing the dentist to finish the procedure in a single visit to the dental practice.
- Fillings restore the strength of the cavity-infected tooth.
How are fillings placed?
Fillings are quite simple restorations and can be completed in a single visit to the dentist’s practice. The dentist will initially screen the mouth to check the severity of the cavities. The decay within the cavity and the tartar deposits surrounding it will be removed by ultrasonic scaling. By using a jet of water, the removed debris and microbes will be washed away.
Next, the dentist will prepare the filling material by matching it with the exact color and texture of the tooth. It will be applied to the cavity, shaped accordingly, and hardened using a curing light. We will take a bite test to determine how the filling is affecting your natural bite, and any excess material will be trimmed off to make the filling offer a perfect fit and bite. It will also be polished to enhance aesthetics. The dentist will give you care instructions to ensure the fillings last for a long time.
Please get in touch with us through online consultation or by calling us at (303) 799-4333, and we’ll guide you further.